Build A Better World @ Cary Library
Kids Age 0 - entering Grade 5
June 15 - August 26, 2017
(last day to claim prizes is September 10, 2017)
Build A Better World is sponsored by The Friends of Cary Memorial Library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
This summer, Cary Library is offering a new way to track your child’s summer reading! Using the Beanstack online software, you can track your entire family’s reading under one account.
1. Go to carylibrary.beanstack.org
2. Scroll down the page and click on the “Register an Individual or Family” button.
3. Create an account. This will be the primary account. Multiple readers may be registered within this account so each child’s reading can be tracked separately.
4. The program will ask if you wish to register another adult. Click no.
5. The program will ask if you wish to register a child. Click yes! Enter the child’s information.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for each child.
REGISTERING FOR THE READING PROGRAM (S)
1. Go to carylibrary.beanstack.org
2. Scroll down and click on “Sign in Here.”
3. Sign in
4. In the upper left corner of the page you’ll see which account you are currently viewing. To change to a different reader, click “Switch Readers.”
5. Choose the reader you wish to register.
6. You will see a list of programs your child may be eligible for. Choose the appropriate program (s) and click the “Register” button. If you are not interested in participating in one or more of the offered programs, click “Not Interested.”
7. Repeat for any additional children.
1. Sign into your account at carylibrary.beanstack.org
3. In the upper left corner of the page you’ll see which account you are currently viewing. To change to a different reader, click “Switch Readers.”
5. You will see the program (s) in which the child is registered.
6. Click “Return to Program”
7. Click “The Log” in the menu bar along the top of the page
8. Click “Log Reading and Activities”
9. Choose “minutes” or “activities” and fill in the requested information (Depending on which program your child is participating in, you may see only one option)
10. If you are logging reading or activities for multiple children, you can easily switch between readers’ accounts by clicking on the drop down menu at the top of the logging page and selecting a different reader. By selecting “All Readers” you can log minutes, events, etc., to all of your readers at once.
Children earn badges when they achieve goals or complete tasks in the reading programs. When earned, badges will appear on their account. Badges that have not yet been earned may appear grayed out.
EARNING AND REDEEMING PRIZES
When a prize is earned, you will be notified both within the program, and by email. Come in to the library to redeem your prize!
Reading preparation begins BEFORE your child starts school — it begins at birth! There are five early literacy practices that every child needs to get ready to read, listen and write. This program is designed to encourage parents and caregivers to engage in these early literacy practices with your child all while exploring art, science, math, and more! Get ready to talk, sing, read, write, and play!
Children whose families spend time reading grow up to be avid readers. Our goal is to motivate you to read on your own or with your family for at least fifteen minutes every day this summer. Once you have logged 10 hours, get your parent or guardian to bring you to the library and pick out a prize!
What can I read?
You may read any books or magazines you choose, in any language you choose. They do not have to be from the Library. Reading aloud to a friend or family member, listening to audio books, or listening to someone read to you also counts.
Keep track of the time you spend reading on your paper log. Each time you complete 10 hours of reading (that’s 600 minutes!), you may choose book from the prize cart in the Children’s Room at Cary Library. You may earn up to 10 prizes this summer.
Download your Summer Reading Log
Take the READING WITHOUT WALLS CHALLENGE (entering Grades 3-5)
This is an extra special challenge for avid readers to expand their reading horizons and push themselves to read outside their comfort zones. You may do this in addition to, or in lieu of, the reading program. Time spent reading books for the Challenge does count for the Reading Program.
Expand your reading horizons! To complete the Reading Challenge, you need to read:
- one book about a HUMAN character with a realistic human characteristic that is different from you!
Diversity comes in many forms: race, religion, gender, geography, sexual orientation, class, ability, and more
- one book about a topic you do not know much about.
Read a book about a topic that you don’t know anything about: science, math, history, sports, a biography, a place, etc.
- one book in a format that you do not normally read for fun!
Examples of format: graphic novel, novel in verse, audio book, ebook
If you read mostly graphic novels, try a chapter book
If you read chapter books, try a novel in verse
If you always read a physical book - try listening to a book on audio or read an ebook!
Enter the titles of the books you’ve read into the Reading Without Walls program in your Beanstack account. Once you have logged all three books, you’ll receive a small prize, and a certificate of completion, and you’ll get to remove a “brick” from the wall around the desk in the Children’s Room and put your name up in its place!
These lists were created collaboratively by the librarians at the Lexington elementary schools and the children's librarians of Cary Memorial Library.
Download your Recommended Summer Reading List:
Can't decide what books to read, stop by and chat with one of our staff and we'll be happy to help you find just the right book. In the mean time, take a look at some of the highlighted selections below. Can't remember that awesome book you heard about from one of our librarians at your school? Look through these titles and you will find it!