||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
||Ruins of Dio Lewis School after fire in 1867.
"Ruins of the Dio Lewis School. On September 7, 1867 this building burned to the ground. The biggest fire Lexington ever had. The only fire protection in those days were the brooks, wells, and in the centre some half-dozen very large underground brick cisterns. The fire department consisted of two hand-tubs.
This view is looking from the railroad tracks across the ruins toward Waltham Street. On the right is the house where Mr. Thivierge's drug store stands and on the left Dr. Holmes house (where the Lexington Fruit Company was located). The tall trees on the left are the two great elms which stood in front of Dr. Valentine's house. There were two other houses as well, one on each side of the Valentine house."
||Holmes, Dr. Howland Holmes
Lewis, Dr. Dio
Valentine, Dr. Henry C.
||Dio Lewis School
Lexington Fruit Company
Education of girls
Fire fighting equipment
||Ruins of Dio Lewis School after fire in 1867