||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
||The B. F. Brown house, Hancock Street.
"This fine house stood on the southeast side of Hancock Street before coming to Edgewood Road. Reverend John Hancock had owned this land - later Parson (Jonas) Clarke - and it was originally Muzzey land. In 1714, Benjamin Muzzey sold to his son Richard land on Hancock Street beyond Buckman Tavern and three years later he mortgaged this land and the house he had built to Reverend John Hancock. Richard Muzzey was drowned in a pond in Maine in 1719 and in the following year title to the property passed to Mr. Hancock. This the Reverend John Hancock owned two houses on Hancock Street. Parson Clarke's daughter, Lucy, married the Reverend Thaddeus Fiske of West Cambridge and they acquired part of these lands - mostly toward Meriam Street.
Before 1838 Daniel Harrington purchased from the Clarke heirs three-quarters of an acre of land with a house on it - this presumably the one built by Richard Muzzey in 1717 - and it stood a short distance beyond Goodwin Road. There were two earlier owners and then Edward Emerson of Lexington bought considerable land beyond Goodwin Road toward the present location of the Hancock-Clarke house.
On this land Edward Emerson built the house you are looking at. This in 1849. The house was assessed for $6,750. He sold the place in 1852 to Charles O. Whitmore, of Boston, for $12,000 who occupied it as a summer house until 1864. Then Edward C. Lawrence, a wealthy furniture manufacturer of Charlestown has the place, consisting of a house, cottage, two barns, and two out-buildings, one of which was a private bowling alley and some eleven acres of land. Lawrence sold to Sergeant C. Whitcher in 1867 and he sold to George Sparhawk in 1871. At this time the house was assessed for $10,500, one of the highest assessments in the whole town.
Benjamin F. Brown of Charlestown acquired the property in 1877 and later "modernized" the house so that in 1897 the assessors valued it at $12,500. In more recent years, Hallie C. Blake bought the property and as the Depression followed when large houses couldn't be sold at any price and the assessment remained high, he demolished the house in 1930. The ancient little house of Muzzey, Hancock, Clarke, Daniel Harrington et al. disappears from the records during Edward Emerson's ownership, so it is presumable he tore it down when the large house was built."
Brown, B. F.
Brown (Benjamin) House, Hancock Street
Hancock Street, Brown (Benjamin) House
||Benjamin F. Brown house, Hancock Street