Previous Next
Record 126/301
Drawing of Packard-Holt farm on Lowell and North streets. "This farm is part of the area set off to Lexington in 1799 and was formerly part of Woburn, then Burlington. For almost 200 years this land was part of the Locke Farm. There was a house on or near this spot built about 1683. The old house disappears from our records at the time the house, shown in the picture, was built - 1658. Thomas H. Packard bought the place in 1868 (1858?). (His daughter Alice married George Simonds.) This picture was made about 1872. An itinerant artist - not uncommon as late as then - made the original picture, a pencil drawing, for which he was paid one dollar and two meals. To this Packard Farm, on May 30, 1880, George Worthen, wife and two children came from Cambridge to spend the summer. A sickly boy and a one-year-old baby the reason. On September 30 the same year the Worthens moved to East Lexington (the house which stood at lower corner of Tower Park). Later the Packard farm passed to one Ben Holt. While he owned it the barn burned and there were two other fires. Ben was a rough customer. One Sunday Ben asked my father to go up to the farm and see what ailed his windmill. Father went with him. The gears on the platform were okay, so with aid of a ladder father went down the well where his pump was placed. There in the well was a dead cat! Father asked Ben for a rope and bucket to get out the cat but Ben told him to pay attention to the pump - he'd get the cat. Part of the pump was broken and father agreed to get a new part and come up and put it in the following Sunday. He went up there and down the well. The dead cat was still there! And the Holt family had used the water all the week!"
Lantern Slides -Packard-Holt Farm, ca. 1872 -Cary Memorial Library 2016. All rights reserved.
Packard-Holt Farm, 1872

The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355   
Last modified on: March 22, 2016