||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
|Date of photo
||Drawing of Hancock-Clarke house, ca. 1875.
"This pleasant country scene is the Hancock-Clarke House as it looked in 1875. How much does it mean to Lexington to be able to actually show the three buildings connected with our Revolutionary History? Not just tablets marking sites of forgotten buildings, not a modern museum housing relics, but the actual buildings themselves. The Hancock-Clarke House was saved from destruction by efforts of Reverend Mr. Staples, the Historical Society and its friends, in 1896 and moved across the street where it now stands. Built in 1698, enlarged in 1734, intimately associated with the events of April 19, 1775, it is truly an architectural and historical monument."
(Handwritten note: "the drawing by R. F.")
||Hancock-Clarke House, Hancock Street #36
Hancock Street #36, Hancock-Clarke House
Lexington Historical Society
||Hancock-Clarke House, 1875