Previous Next
Record 156/301
Description 
Captain Phelps house (now Viano's Theater), 1875. "This long, low house stood where Viano's Theatre now is. It is now located in back of the Theatre. Built around 1800. Captain Phelps, the father of Mrs. Goodwin, lived there for many years. In the upper end where you see the small door was a room used - a hundred years ago - as a library by the Farmers' Library Club. They were about 75 members and the library consisted of 400 volumes. In that same small room at the right end the Lexington Savings Bank opened for business June 3, 1871. In this house Dr. Saltmarsh had his office. Dr. Piper was located there for some years and even later Dr. Shannon. Mrs. Goodwin was born here (in Jonathan Harrington house?) but at the time of her marriage in 1862 Mr. Goodwin built the house No. _ Muzzey Street and they lived there for many years. Subsequently it was occupied by Willard Walcott who carried on an extensive livery stable, and in recent years by Mr. & Mrs. Byron C. Earle."
Lantern Slides -Captain Phelps house, 1875 -Cary Memorial Library 2016. All rights reserved.
Image
Theatre site, formerly Captain Phelps's House
001\19761EBWs036.JPG

The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: March 22, 2016