||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
|Date of photo
||The earlier Baptist Church, 1885.
"The present church is on the same site. This building was built in 1834 and remained a small bare structure until 1880 when under the leadership of Rev. Russell Conwell it was enlarged and improved.
Notice the street. At this point in the road, once called Henchman's Hill, later Cottrell's Ledge, the road divided and half the road went up over the knoll. The ledge was cut away and the road widened about 1892 (1890).
The old Baptist Church burned in 1891. The ladies had been using the kitchen stove and it apparently caused the fire. A young man by the name of William Hunt was passing and saw the blaze. He ran to Elm Street to the residence of Mr. George D. Harrington who had a key to the Church. They rang the church bell. That was our fire alarm. The firemen gathered and some brought out the horses from John Rose's stable back of Mr. A. A. Marshall's office and took them over the fire station. Then the firemen hitched up the apparatus. There was no need to ask where the fire was - there was plenty of smoke down the road. Arriving at the fire and hooking the hose to the hydrant took but a few minutes - but there was little water in the main. So a fire horse was unhitched and a gallant fireman rode up to the Pumping Station on Lincoln Street and asked Mr. Bruce the Engineer to please start the pumps because there was a fire. By that time the building had burned down."
Harrington, George D.
Marshall, A. A.
||First Baptist Church, Massachusetts Avenue #1580
||Old Baptist Church, 1885