||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
|Date of photo
||Old (first) High School, Massachusetts Avenue, 1885.
"Up to 1846 there was a church building on the Common, and until that year the church and town had that dual Puritan existence which is so difficult to explain. It was the meeting-house, all town meetings were held here, etc. The church burned in 1846 and the Church members decided to re-build off the Common and end their dual existence with the Town. So the Unitarian Church was built. This left the Town without a place for town meetings and the building you are looking at was erected where our present High School now stands. We got around to having a High School in 1854, and until 1871 this building served as High School and Town Hall.
In 1885 the building was enlarged by the addition of two recitation rooms, at the rear of the main room. All four classes sat together in the main room, passing to t he smaller rooms for recitations before the two assistant teachers. This picture taken in 1885 [1888?]."
||Lexington High School (First, 1854-1902)
||Lexington High School, exterior, 1885 or 1888