Previous Next
Record 192/301
Description 
Lexington Common about 1885. This is a very good view of the Common, as the older residents remember it. The stone posts and the fence of rails set edge-wise. Directly back of the pulpit rock is the elm set out by President Grant April 19, 1875. For many years the Common was used for cattle fairs, musters and as a baseball and football field. This continued until 1884 when Reverend Mr. Staples and Reverend Mr. Porter took the lead in restoring the Common to its hallowed place."
Lantern Slides -Lexington Common, 1885 -Cary Memorial Library 2016. All rights reserved.
Image
Lexington Common, 1885
001\19761EBWs007.JPG

The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: March 22, 2016