Previous Next
Record 216/301
Lexington Center firemen and equipment, 1892. "Lexington Centre Fire Department - about 1892. Here at the Centre, after the hand-tubs were sold, the equipment consisted of a hand-drawn chemical, a hose cart and a ladder truck. On the ladder truck is the driver, Tom Green; in front of the door of the engine-house is John Griffin, the man with the soft felt hat is probably Ed Nourse. William B. Foster stands with his foot on the wheel. In the back-ground is another of the Engineers, Willard Walcott. Think it is John T. McNamara standing in the drive-way. The hose-cart was locally built and the wheel-wright intended the Town should have its money's worth - for with the usual equipment and a fire-man or two the out-fit weighed over two tons. As it was drawn by only one horse only it was always the last piece of apparatus to arrive at any fire. No horse could hurry with that load. Following a series of disastrous fires, the Town on April 1, 1895 voted to spend $6000 for the purchase of moden apparatus. This consisted of a Steamer, Chemical and Hose, and the necessary horses, and required that both engine houses be remodeled to accommodate horses. June 10, 1911 the Town authorized the purchase of the first self propelled apparatus and American LaFrance combination chemical and hose wagon costing $5800. Built by Town for fire department. It was first used by the fire department in the spring of 1876. For many years the upper rooms were used for various social purposes - notably by the orchestra conducted by Mr. Charles C. Goodwin."
Lantern Slides -Lexington Center Fire Department, 1892 -Cary Memorial Library 2016. All rights reserved.
Fire Department, Lexington Center

The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355   
Last modified on: March 22, 2016