||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
||East Lexington Brass Band, sometime between 1890-1895.
"The East Lexington Band flourished for some years and regularly gave concerts in front of Village Hall (Engine House). John Wright started East Lexington Brass Band about 1892. Picture taken in new uniforms purchased from Alfred Pierce - who was in the clothing business.
Played with Red Jackets of Cambridge at Fireman's Muster in Pawtucket.
Band solicited funds and built a band stand on green at junction of Pleasant Street and Massachusetts Avenue where concerts were given every two weeks.
At the base drum is Ed Peterson; in front of the drum is Herbert Austin; the little boy is Bill Moakley; next is Jack Moakley and then Ray Frizzelle, both with trombones; over Peterson's shoulder above drum is Frank Morey; on right-hand side of big tree is James Phillips; on right of smaller tree is John Wright; directly in front of small tree is Bob Moakley; next to last in back row is Herbert Lowe; last on right is Albert Edwards of Woburn, baritone horn; center with whiskers is James H. Frizzelle; on his right is Pat Moakley; front row extreme right is Roger Blanchard. Young Frank Peirce and Al Morey are also in the picture."
(Cataloger's note: Narrative description includes two lists of individuals - one by EBW, Jr. "differs slightly from EBW's notes.")
|Year Range from
|Year range to
Phillips, James H.
East Lexington Band
||East Lexington Brass Band, 1890s