||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
||Photo folder: LEXINGTON COMMON/BATTLE GREEN
Lexington Common, also known as Battle Green.
Historic open space of national significance where the British and the colonists first exchanged fire to initiate the Revolutionary War and the Battle of Lexington.
It is bordered by Massachusetts Avenue, Bedford Street, and Harrington Street in Lexington Center. Now a site for recreation, public celebrations and commemorations of the Battle of Lexington, which occurred here on April 19, 1775. There is a statue of Captain John Parker of the Minute Men by Kitson which honors the Minute men who served, as well as historic markers to commemorate the burial site of most of the Minute men killed on April 19, 1775. Used in earlier times for grazing and haying. Originally purchased by the town in 1711 from Benjamin Muzzey.
12 photos, some of winter scenes with snow
Raising of new flagpole, 1944
Copy of image, "haying on common"
Minute man statue
Boulder on Lexington Common, possibly Line of Minute Man marker.
This is a folder-level record in Series 19. Lexington Properties and Landmarks.
|Year Range from
|Year range to
Line of the Minutemen Monument
Minuteman Memorial (obelisk on the common)
Minuteman Statue, Lexington
Monuments & memorials
||LEXINGTON COMMON/BATTLE GREEN