||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
||Photo folder: MUNROE TAVERN, MASSACHUSETTS AVENUE
Munroe Tavern, 1332 Massachusetts Avenue.
Photographs, negatives and a stereograph of a historic landmark of national importance, related to the Revolutionary War and the Battle of Lexington.
The early part dates to 1695. It was used as temporary headquarters and hospital by Earl Lord Percy for his retreating British troops on April 19, 1775 as they went back to Boston along what is now Massachusetts Avenue from Concord, and then Lexington. President Washington visited here on Nov. 5, 1789.
1stereograph from 1876 showing the house decorated in a patriotic manner on front and side.
Images of the exterior, are mostly from the front and side with the driveway on the left, all seasons,as well as interior shots, at least one of the kitchen
Restoration photographs from 1938 and 1939 document the progress of replacement of some of siding and changing of windows.
One series from 1941 documents the tree in front of the house being taken down.
This is a folder-level record in Series 19. Lexington Properties and Landmarks.
|Year Range from
|Year range to
||Munroe, James S.
Massachusetts Avenue #1332, Munroe Tavern
Munroe Tavern, Massachusetts Avenue #1332
||MUNROE TAVERN, MASSACHUSETTS AVENUE