Dear Lexington Community,
Effective Monday, December 14, the Cary Library will suspend all in person services, including our “Cary Out” holds pickup service. This decision was made at an emergency meeting of the Library’s Executive Board of Trustees earlier this afternoon and is in accordance with the Town Manager’s decision to close all Town facilities (other than public safety) and have all non-essential municipal employees work remotely through January 10, 2021. Decisions regarding operations beyond January 10 will be made at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Executive Board on January 6, 2021.
Like you, we have been monitoring the rates of COVID-19 infections in Lexington and statewide. We have been concerned to see those numbers increase significantly since the Thanksgiving holiday. By taking this step, we hope to do our part to protect the health of both library patrons and staff.
If you have received notice that you have items on hold and ready for pickup at the library - you can stop by before Saturday, December 12th to pick up your holds.
- Thursday, Friday, and Saturday holds pickup hours: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Any holds that are not picked up will be extended and will be available for pickup when we are able to resume in-building services
- All due dates will be extended to January 31, 2021
- There will be no overdue fines for materials that are currently checked out
- Bookdrops will remain open but please expect significant delays with your items being checked in, as staff will not be working in the building
Library Services from December 14 - January 10:
- Virtual programs for people of all ages
- Ebooks and audiobooks, streaming and downloadable content - The Library is purchasing additional content to help ease waiting lists
- Ask Us - to reach one of our Adult Services Librarians
- Ask Children’s or Ask Teen to reach one of our Youth Service Librarians
What’s NOT Available:
- “Cary Out” holds pickup services will NOT be available
- Phones will NOT be answered as staff will not be working in the building
- Book Bundles will NOT be available while staff are working remotely
While it is difficult to be taking this step backwards, we remain hopeful that the New Year and the COVID-19 vaccine will allow us to begin to normalize operations in the months ahead. Meanwhile we wish you and your family a happy and safe holiday season and a healthy start to 2021.