Hello Lexington Families!
I’m writing to let you know that the Cary Library will be undergoing some renovations this summer – and that those renovations will impact our ability to provide services to children and their families this Summer.
The good news is that we are still doing our traditional Summer Reading Program! Our major annual events will also be held (weather permitting) outdoors. Save the date for these annual events::
- Our annual kick-off event will be held on Saturday, June 25th at 10:30 am. This year Sciencetellers presents “Power and Energy” (for ages 4 – 12). Free tickets will be available beginning Monday, June 16th at 7 pm in the Children’s Room (phone reservations accepted beginning at 7:30 pm)
- Bring-A-Bear Picnic will be held the morning of Wednesday, July 13th (weather permitting)
- Truck Day!!! Friday, July 15th from 9:30 – 12:00 in the library parking lot
- End of Summer Ice Cream Social will be held on the afternoon of Friday, August 26th
More detailed information about these events will be available as we get closer to their dates. We recognize that families rely on having activities at the library, particularly on extremely hot, or wet days. Thanks to the Friends of Cary Memorial Library, we have purchased a wide variety of board games, card games, and puzzles that will be available for you to use with your children when visiting the library this summer.
We anticipate that we will have other programming “pop up” as well over the course of the summer. Please be sure to subscribe to our Children’s Newsletter or follow the library on one of our social media platforms to hear about any activities that “pop up”. The reality of construction work, possible building closures, and the lack of availability of library meeting rooms has made it impossible for us to have the wide range of programming we generally offer. We’ll look forward to resuming that piece of SRP next summer once the proverbial dust has settled!
In addition, there will be a couple weeks where the library will be closed during the daytime and open only in the evenings. We have to do this in order to move shelving and book collections in preparation for construction. The first of those is the week of June 20th (see schedule below).
Library Hours – June 20th – 27th
Monday, June 20: Open 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (normal hours)
Tuesday, June 21: Open 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, June 22: Open 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 23: Open 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Friday, June 24: CLOSED
Saturday, June 25: Open 9:00 – 5:00 p.m. (normal hours)
Sunday, June 26: CLOSED
Monday, June 27: Open 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
There are a couple of places you can go to for up-to-the-minute information about potential closures, and to learn about pop-up programs for children:
- Visit carylibrary.org/updates – our website for construction updates
- Sign up for our new Children’s Newsletter
- Follow us on social media
- Call us for updates – 781.862.6288 x170
I want to thank you in advance for your understanding. I know you and your children look forward to visiting the Cary Library during the summertime and I regret the interruptions in service. Please direct any questions you may have to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.