Welcome to Cary Out, the Library's Curbside Pick-up Service
Request materials using our online catalog, wait for our email saying your items are available for pickup, and book your appointment to come pick them up. Please contact us if you are unable to pick up your items before the “pickup by” date on your notice!
Special hours for Cary Out:
Tuesday: 11:00 am - 4 pm
Wednesday: 2:00 pm - 7 pm
Thursday: 11:00 am - 4 pm
Friday: 11:00 am - 4 pm
Saturday: 11: 00 am - 4 pm
Reserve a time to pick up your holds
How does it work?
- Place requests online at https://find.minlib.net/ or use the MLN app. Contact Ask a Librarian for assistance.
- Wait for an email notification letting you know your items are ready.
- Schedule a pick up time using our reservation system, or call 781-862-6288 and press 0 to speak to the operator during curbside hours. Please contact us if you are unable to pick up your items before the “pickup by” date on your notice!
- Once you arrive, park in a numbered space in our Clarke Street parking lot and call 781-862-6288, then press 7 for books to be delivered to your car. Or, come to the South entrance closest to the parking lot and speak to a staff person if you are on foot. (If you choose to drive but want to walk up for your books, please park in the spaces not numbered for curbside pick-up).
- Receive your bagged materials contact-free and enjoy! All library items will have a loan period of three weeks.
For the safety of all, we do require that you practice social distancing at all times and wear masks or face coverings when you pick up your materials.
The library building remains closed to the public. Please return your materials to the outside book drops. No overdue fines will be assessed through the end of October.
More Information about Cary Out
- How do I request materials for curbside pickup?
- Can I pick up materials for other people?
- Can I pick up only some of my available holds?
- What can I request, and how long will it take?
- What do I need to bring with me when picking up?
- What if I can’t make it to my curbside appointment?
- How do I cancel or reschedule an appointment?
- Where can I get answers to account questions?
- I am coming by vehicle. Where do I go?
- I am coming on foot or by bicycle. Where do I go?
- How long will the pickup process take?
- How long can I keep materials once I have picked them up?
- How do I return my materials?
- Place requests online at http://find.minlib.net/, or use the MLN app. For assistance, contact Ask a Librarian or call the library during curbside hours at 781-862-6288 and press 0 for the operator.
- Log in to your library account at https://find.minlib.net/iii/encore/myaccount or use the MLN app to view, freeze, or cancel requests.
- Once you receive a notice that your items are ready for pickup, please schedule a pick up time as soon as possible. You may receive multiple notices, but you do not need a separate appointment for each item. On the morning of your appointment, any materials that have arrived for you will be checked out and placed in your bag for pickup. If you are unable to schedule a pick up time before the “pickup by” date on your notice, please contact us.
Yes! Each cardholder with items to pick up should make an appointment. When making an appointment, you can add a note with the name of the person who will be picking up the items. If you are picking up for multiple cardholders on the same day, we are happy to help you accomplish all your pickups in one time window.
All items in your bag have been checked out to you. At this time, we cannot do any substitutions or hold any available reserves to pick up later. Any items you don't want, you may return in our book drops.
- It may take us slightly longer than usual to fill your requests, as we are working through a significant backlog.
- Deliveries between Minuteman libraries have resumed, but delivery times may vary. Libraries in the area are at different stages of reopening.
- The Commonwealth Catalog and Inter-Library Loan services are not available.
- To create better access to the most popular materials, we have temporarily changed the loan rules for our Read It Now and See It Now collections. These are now holdable and renewable online!
- Current issues of magazines can be requested and checked out.
- Our Library of Things collection and Museum Passes are not yet available for pickup.
- Please be prepared to show your lD, library card, or a copy of your notice if asked.
- Your items will be packed in a brown paper bag.
- Please wear a mask or face covering. All staff will be wearing face coverings. If you are unable to wear a face covering, please plan to come by car and remain in your vehicle.
While we appreciate it if you can arrive during your curbside time window, we will hold your bag for a week. If you miss your appointment, feel free to come later during curbside hours or contact us to reschedule. If we do not hear from you after 7 days, and your items have not been picked up, they will be removed from your account.
To cancel an appointment, log in to our reservation system and choose "Manage Existing Pickup." Click the button with an image of a red trash can to cancel. At this time, the system does not allow you to change your appointment time. Please contact us if you need to reschedule an existing appointment.
Where can I get answers to account questions?
To limit in-person contact for patrons and staff, we will not be able to answer account or reference questions at the pickup point.
If you are coming by vehicle and staying in your car:
- Pull into the parking lot and park in a marked, numbered curbside space.
- Please call 781-862-6288 and press 7. We will ask for your name and parking space number. Please be ready to give your library card number if asked.
- Please open your trunk, door, or window to indicate where you want your items delivered, then return to your car.
- Library staff will place your bag in your car.
- Wait until they leave before getting out to close your door or trunk.
- Please wear a mask or face covering; all staff will be wearing face coverings. If you are unable to wear a face covering, please keep your car windows closed when staff approach.
If you are coming on foot or by bicycle:
- Please approach the parking lot entrance from the alley, along the Children’s Room windows. You will see a table outside the entrance.
- A staff member will approach the table and ask for your name, and may ask for one of the following to identify you: an ID, your library card, or a copy of your notice.
- Library staff will place your bag of materials on the table.
- Please be mindful of other patrons and follow sidewalk markings for social distancing when waiting to approach the pickup table.
- Face coverings are required.
It varies, so please be prepared to wait for a few minutes at the library. You can help ensure a quick pickup by scheduling your appointment at least a day in advance of when you wish to arrive.
All items will be checked out for 3 weeks with 2 renewals if no one else is waiting for them. There will be a date due receipt inside your bag.
- Please return items to the outside book drops located by both library entrances. They are open 24 hours a day.
- All materials should be returned to the book drops except Library of Things items. Library of Things items may be returned to a staff member at the South entrance during curbside pickup hours, but we are unable to accept any other returns in person.
- Once returned, materials will be quarantined for 96 hours. Items will remain on your account during the quarantine period.
- No overdue fines will be assessed through the end of October. You will only be responsible for lost or damaged items.