At home and looking for resources to occupy your mind? Check out some of these websites and social media feeds!
- Miranda by the Folger - Digital resources from the Folger Shakespeare Library.
- Google Arts & Culture - A collection of images from museums and cultural institutions from around the world.
- The Metropolitan Opera House - Free nightly live opera streaming.
- Poetry Unbound - Short podcasts that include the reading and brief review of a poem.
- Scholastic Learn at Home - Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing.
- Khan Academy - Nonprofit with the mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere - for all ages.
- Future Learn - A diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world.
- Ted Ed - Short, award-winning animated videos about people, ideas, and research that are meant to spark curiosity.
- Cool Math - Free online math lessons and game for MS & HS.
- Hour of Code - Free one hour elementary coding tutorials for all ages.
- PBS Learning Media - Free videos, interactives, lesson plans for k-12.
- TeenBookCloud.com - gr. 7-12 ebook database.
- Yoga With Adriene
- Arts Wave Mindful Music Moments - Short musical selections performed by the CInicinnati Symphone and Cincinatti Opera paired with meditation instructions.
Are you looking for creative writing inspiration while you are social distancing at home? Below are some links to prompts and tutorials for teens that may help get you writing!
If you are comfortable sharing your writing during this time, forward a copy to Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org and include CARY TEENS WRITE as the subject line. We hope to compile a collection/display of work written by teens during the unforgettable spring of 2020.
Cary Teens Writing Prompts are weekly ‘first line/last line/somewhere in between line’ writing prompt. New prompts will be posted every Friday, so keep checking back.
April is National Poetry Month and Cary Library is celebrating it by holding a virtual haiku challenge throughout the month. Follow us on Instagram @carymemlibrary and Facebook for information, encouragement, and prompts to write your own haikus. Share your poems on social media and don’t forget to tag them #carylibraryhaikus.
Escapril is another Instagram poetry challenge for the month of April. Each day of the month is assigned a one-word prompt.
Authors Everywhere - Several authors of Children's and Tween books read aloud from their books and give mini writing lessons.
Kelly Yang Teen Writing Class - YA author (Parachutes, Front Desk) is offering short (approximately ½ hour) YouTube writing lessons
Writing Tips from Kate DiCamillo – Award winning author of Children’s and Tween books is providing brief writing tips and suggestions for getting started with your writing.