Storywalk - Saturday
Saturday by Oge Mora
When all of their special Saturday plans go awry, Ava and her mother still find a way to appreciate one another and their time together.
CONTINUE THE FUN
Take A Calming Breath:
Breathing exercises and affirmations are a great way to take a moment when things are not going as you expected, if you are feeling overwhelmed, or you need to calm down. Ava and her mother take a deep breath and repeat an affirmation when they are feeling overwhelmed – let’s try their special breathing exercise!
- Turn and face your partner (grown ups, you may need to crouch down to be on your child’s level)
- At the same time, take a deep breath in for three seconds, then exhale with a “whoosh” sound for three seconds
- After you exhale, say together “Today is special. Today is splendid. Today is special because I am spending it with you.”
Sing: The Wheels on the Bus
There is only one song to sing when you are riding on the bus! Let’s sing “The Wheels on the Bus”
The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town.
The doors on the bus go open and shut, open and shut, open and shut.
The doors on the bus go open and shut, all through the town.
The horn on the bus goes beep beep beep
The wipers on the bus go swish swish swish
The driver on the bus says “Move on back”
The people on the bus go up and down
Talk About It: When Things Don’t Go As Planned
Ava and her mother run into some obstacles during their day. Here are some things to talk about:
- How did Ava and her mom respond to these obstacles?
- How do you feel when things don’t go your way?
- How can you react if things do not go as planned?
- What are some strategies you can use to pivot when needed?
Make Your Own Puppet Show
Ava and her mom make their own puppets and put on a show! You can to! There are lots of ways to make puppets – you can use socks or paper bags or even paper cups!. Or if you want to be really fancy, you can make marionettes! Here are some different instructions on our craft page for making puppets!
- Cardboard Tube Marionettes [PDF] (video on our YouTube channel)
- Paper Bag Puppets [PDF]
- Paper Cup Dragons [PDF]
- Porg Puppets [PDF]
Make Your Own Collage Art
Oge Mora uses collage as a medium for Saturday. Make your own collage pictures. Collage is a piece of art made by assembling pieces of various other materials (photographs, pieces of paper, or fabric) to make a different picture. Make your own collage picture.
Write About It:
Write about your perfect Saturday. What would you do? Who would you be spending it with?
Draw a picture of you and someone you love doing something together on a Saturday
Book Chat with Oge Mora
Watch this online book chat with author/illustrator Oge Mora