Rise Up & Read with Cary Library!
The Early Literacy Summer Program is for infants through preschoolers. If your child will be entering Kindergarten through 5th grade in the fall, please enroll in the K-5 Summer Program. Students entering grades 6-12 may participate in the Teen Summer Program.
Rise Up & Read is sponsored by The Friends of Cary Memorial Library.
Prizes are generously provided by The Friends of Cary Memorial Library.
Early Literacy Summer Program
Reading preparation begins BEFORE your child starts school — it begins at birth! There are five early literacy practices that every child needs to get ready to read, listen, and write. This program is designed to encourage parents and caregivers to engage in these early literacy practices with their children all while exploring art, science, math, and more! Get ready to talk, sing, read, write, and play!
Badges can be completed in any order, so start with what interests you most. Do one activity per week to earn one badge or one activity per day to earn all seven. Visit us at the end of the summer to tell us about what you did and collect a prize!
K-5 Summer Program
Rise Up & Read with Cary Library! Have fun, stay active, and keep learning all summer long by completing reading and activity challenges. Get ready to read, write, create, play, and explore math, science, music, and Lexington!
Complete any 7 of the 10 suggested activities to earn each badge! Badges can be completed in any order, so start with what interests you most. Do one activity per week to earn one badge or one activity per day to earn all seven. Visit us at the end of the summer to tell us about what you did and collect a prize!
You can also log your reading time towards a goal of 24 hours. Read just 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week to meet this goal! Time spent reading books for the Read badge does count towards your time goal.
Beanstack is the online tracker we use for reading and learning programs here at Cary Library, and you’ll find it at carylibrary.beanstack.org.
If you’ve ever participated in a summer learning program or 1000 Books Before Kindergarten at Cary Library, you already have a Beanstack account! Be sure to update everyone’s grades and ages, and then enroll your readers in the summer programs for which they are eligible. Not sure? Click “Sign In” and “Forgot Your Username?” or contact the library to avoid creating a duplicate account.
Watch our video tutorial for an introduction to using Beanstack.
GETTING STARTED WITH BEANSTACK
- Go to carylibrary.beanstack.org
- Scroll down the page and click on the “Register an Individual or Family” button.
- Follow the prompts to create an account. Multiple readers may be registered within the same account so each child’s activities can be tracked separately.
- When entering information, be sure to include the grade each child will be entering in the fall.
- After the first child is entered, the program will ask if you wish to register another child. Click yes until each child has a profile in Beanstack.
REGISTERING FOR THE SUMMER PROGRAM
- Go to carylibrary.beanstack.org
- Scroll down, click on “Sign In”, and sign in.
- In the upper right corner of the page, you’ll see which profile you are currently viewing. To change to a different reader, click on the reader’s name and select “Change Readers”.
- Choose the reader you wish to register. Returning users, click “Edit Reader” to update grade level to the grade each child will be entering in the fall.
- You will see a list of programs for which your child may be eligible. Choose the appropriate program(s) and click the “Join Challenge” button. If you are not interested in participating in one or more of the offered programs, click “Not Interested”.
- Repeat for any additional children.
- Sign into your account at carylibrary.beanstack.org
- In the upper right corner of the page, you’ll see which reader profile you are currently viewing. To change to a different reader, click on the reader’s name and select “Change Readers”.
- Click into the program for which you’d like to log activities.
- Click the “Activity Badges” tab to see the available badges.
- Click each badge to see its suggested activities.
- For each activity completed, click the check box or fill in the text answer as required.
LOGGING READING TIME
- In the upper left corner of the page, click the green “Log Reading and Activities” button.
- Select the Reader for whom you are logging.
- Select “Minutes.”
- Select the date on which the reading took place. Today’s date is the default.
- Type the amount of time spent reading.
- Click “Log.”
- In the upper left corner of the page, click the white “Write a Review” button.
- Select the Reader who is writing the review.
- Enter the title information and write your review!
- Click “Save.”
- Your reviews may be published on Beanstack and visible to other Cary Library Beanstack users.
EARNING BADGES AND PRIZES
Children earn badges when they complete any 7 of the suggested 10 activities. When earned, badges will appear in color on their account. Badges that have not yet been earned will appear grayed out. All children who participate by completing activities or logging reading time will earn a free book to keep! Prizes will be available beginning Saturday, August 21. The last day to claim prizes is Saturday, September 4.
- Picture Books and Early Readers List | Librarians’ Top Picks Video
- Early Chapter Books List | Librarians’ Top Picks Video
- Middle Grade Chapter Books List | Librarians’ Top Picks Video
- Nonfiction for Younger Readers List | Librarians’ Top Picks Video
- Nonfiction for Older Readers List | Librarians’ Top Picks Video